Rupa Huq is a famous British Labour MP, columnist, and academic. Rupa Huq was elected as the Member of Parliament for Ealing Central and Acton (2015 general election). Rupa is a well-educated woman from the United Kingdom. She was a senior lecturer in sociology and Criminology at Kingston University in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences and she also taught Media and Cultural Studies.
She wrote for several news agencies such as Tribune, The Guardian, New Statesman, Progress magazine, Times Higher Education Supplement, Channel 4 News, BBC News 24, Channel S, Bangla TV, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 5 Live, and BBC Asian Network.
She won the Philip Abrams Memorial Prize. She is a well-known author. Hello, I am your host tell you below about Rupa Huq’s Wiki, Age, Height, Husband, Parents, Education, Career, Net Worth, Biography & More.
Rupa Huq Wiki/Biography
Rupa was born on 2nd April 1972 (Age: 51 years old; As of 2023) in Queen Charlotte’s Hospital, Hammersmith, London, England. She was raised on Brunswick Road, Ealing. Her full real name is Rupa Asha Huq.
Her profession is a senior lecturer, music DJ, columnist, author, journalist, and politician. Her current residence is Ealing, London, England. She follows Christianity (religion) and her nationality is British. Her zodiac sign is Aries and her ethnicity is Asian.
Rupa Huq Education & Qualification
Rupa completed her primary education at Montpelier Primary School in Ealing. She appeared in the BBC Schools program Look and Read when she was only 8 years old. She completed her secondary education at a girls’ school named ” Notting Hill and Ealing High School. She also completed her graduation with an upper second in Political and Social Sciences and Law from “Newnham College, Cambridge in 1993.
After that, for higher education, she completed a PhD in cultural studies with a thesis on youth culture at the ” University of East London. Her PhD has compared young people in East London and the Alsace region of France. She completed her master’s degree (post-graduation) from “Strasbourg II University in France.
Rupa Huq Height & Weight
- Height: 5′ 3″ inches (approx.)
- Weight: 5′ 5″ inches (approx.)
- Hair Colour: Black
- Eye Colour: Black
- Hair Length: Short
Rupa Huq BioData
- Name-Rupa Huq
- Full Name-Rupa Asha Huq
- Profession-Writer, Columnist, Politician, Senior lecturer, Music DJ
- Date of Birth-2nd April 1972
- Age-51 years old
- Birth Place-Hammersmith, London, England
- Zodiac sign-Aries
- Hometown-Hammersmith, London, England
- School-Montpelier Primary School, Notting Hill, and Ealing High School
- Educational Qualification-
- Address-Ealing, London, England
- Hobbies/Interests-Writing, reading, music, politics, social works
- Marital Status-Married
- Parents-Father-Muhammad Huq or Abedul, Mother-Rowshan Ara Huq or Dulali Biswas
- Siblings-Brother-Not Known, Sister-Konnie Huq
- Husband-Karim Murji
- Net Worth-$1-1.5 million dollars
Rupa Huq Family & Parents
Rupa was born on 2nd April 1972 in Hammersmith, London, England. She grew up with her parents in Brunswick Road, Ealing, London, England. Her father’s name is Muhammad Huq. also known as Abedul who was training to become an actuary for Prudential. After that, opened an Indian restaurant in Soho, London.
But after the downfall of the early 1990s, due to legal restrictions did not renew the restaurant’s lease the business folded. Her father started a new restaurant in Harrow. Her mother’s name is Rowshan Ara Huq, also known as Dulali Biswas.
Her parents moved to Britain in 1962 from East Pakistan. Her father left Maksedpur and moved to Pabna city and her mother left Kuthipara and moved to Pabna city.She welocmed a son named Rafi in 2004. She has two siblings. Her elder sister Nutun Huq is an architect and her younger sister is named Konnie Huq who is a former Blue Peter presenter.
Rupa’s brother-in-law is Konnie Huq’s husband. Konnie’s husband’s name is Charlie Brooker he worked as a satirist and screenwriter. Her father passed away on 5th September 2014 and her mother also passed away on 21st May 2017. Huq has command of many languages, she can speak English, Bengali, French, and Hindi.
Rupa Huq Husband & Kids
Rupa is a married woman. She married her husband Karim Murji in 2003.
She welocmed a son named Rafi in 2004. They live a joyful life with their family. Her relationship status is committed and her marital status is married.
Rupa Huq Career
Rupa Huq was a lecturer at the University of Manchester during 1998-2004. She held a fellowship of “Leverhulme Trust”. She was a senior lecturer at Kingdom University (Sociology and Criminology) in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. She is also on the faculty of Media and Cultural Studies.
Work for News Agency
Rupa Huq has written for many news agencies including Tribune, The Guardian, New Statesman, Progress magazine, and The Times Higher Education Supplement. She is a researcher for youth culture and pop music.
Her book was published Beyond Subculture: youth, pop, and Identity in a post-colonial world (2006). That book was one of five titles shortlisted for the “2007 British Sociological Association Philip Abrams Memorial Prize”.
Her next book “What Next for Labour? Ideas for a new generation” was published by Queensferry Publishing (2011). Her other books were published such as “Making Sense of Aububia through Popular Culture” (June 2013), and “On the Edge: The Contested Cultures of English Suburbia After 7/7” (2013).
Work for TV and Radio
Rupa Huq has appeared on many TV platforms such as Channel S, Bangla TV, Channel 4 News, and BBC News 24. She also appeared on many Radio platforms such as Today program on BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 5 Live, and BBC Asian Network.
Work as part-time DJ
Rupa Huq said in 2004, ” I first started DJing for a hospital radio station when I was about 17, and now I DJ in clubs and bars in Manchester”.
Rupa Huq stood as a candidate for Labour in the European Parliament election in North West England.
Rupa Huq worked as the Labour parliamentary candidate in Chesham and Amersham in the general election (2005), UK government’s Foreign and Commonwealth “Understanding Islam” delegation to Bangladesh (2008).
Rupa Huq was a candidate for a council seat in Walpole in the constituency of Ealing one of 3 Labour candidates (2010). Huq was selected by Labour as their parliamentary candidate for Ealing Central and Acton constituency (2013).
Rupa Huq won the Ealing Central and Acton seat with a 274 majority (May 2015). She retained her seat with an increased majority of 13,807 in the general election (June 2017). You can read all the positions of Rupa Huq on her political career below:
- She was appointed vice chair of the All Party Parliamentary Music Group and All Party Parliamentary on Crossrail.
- She chairs the All Party Parliamentary Group in London.
- She was also a member of the Justice Select Committee.
- She was appointed as a member of the Shadow Home Affairs team in the Labour Party’s frontbench in Parliament (October 2016).
- She is the Shadow Home Office Minister for Crime Prevention.
- She joined the Panel of Chairs. (June 22, 2020).
- She has been a member of the Commons Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport Committee (March 2022).
Rupa Huq Books
- 2006-Beyond Subculture: Pop, Youth, and Identity in a Postcolonial World-Bloomsbury Academic.
- 2013-Making Sense of Suburbia Through Popular Culture-Routledge.
- 2013-On the Edge: The Contested Cultures of English Suburbia-Lasrence and Wishart.
- 2016-Reading the Riot Act: Reflections on the 2011 urban disorders in England-Routledge.
Rupa Huq Net Worth & Income
Rupa Huq is a political figure who has amassed a sizable wealth via her career. Rupa Huq’s net worth is estimated at $3 million dollars. Her income sources are as a lecturer, music DJ, politician, columnist, and writer. Starting with the first day of April 2018, an MP’s base annual salary is 77,379 euros, plus they are also reimbursed for office and staff overhead as well as travel, etc. Rupa Huq earned a thousand dollars wage annually.
Rupa Huq Social Media Accounts
- Facebook: rupa4labour
- Twitter: RupaHuq
- Office Phone No: +44 20 7219 6865
- Mail: [email protected]
- Official Website: rupahuq.co.uk
Rupa Huq Amazing Facts
- Rupa Huq has made appearances on Channel S, Bangla TV, Channel 4 News, and BBC News 24.
- Unfortunately, her father was diagnosed with prostate cancer.
- Additionally, Rupa has been featured on the Today Programme on BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 5 Live, and BBC Asian Network.
- Regrettably, she faced sexual harassment by a male MEP in October 2017.
- She initiated her DJ career at a young age and is proficient in several languages, including Hindi, English, French, and Bengali.