Dr Devi Prasad Shetty is India’s renowned cardiac surgeon and entrepreneur. He was awarded by the India’s third and fourth highest civilian award Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. Dr Devi Prasad Shetty is the managing director, chairman and founder of Narayana Health consists of 21 medical centres in India. Check more details about Devi Prasad Shetty Wiki, Age, Education, Wife, Son, Family, Net Worth, Biography & More.
Devi Prasad Shetty was born on 8th May 1953 (Age 68 years; As in 2021) in Mangaluru, Karnataka, India. He was born into a village of Dakshina Kannada. His zodiac sign is Taurus. His religion is Hinduism. His nationality is Indian. Since childhood, his dream to be the world’s best cardiac surgeon.
He is expert in Paediatric cardiac surgery, valve repairs in infants and children, pulmonary endarterectomy, ross procedure, redo heart surgery and surgery for Aortic Aneurysms.
He did his schooling from St. Aloysius School, Mangalore.
And after completed secondary education he got admission in St. Aloysius College, Mangaluru and completed his MBBS in 1979.
His post graduation work in General Surgery done from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore.
Later, he completed Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons, England.
He was trained as cardio thoracic surgeon under National Health service UK at Brompton Hospital, West Midlands and Guys Hospital London between (1983-1989).
Height: 6′ 0″ inch
Weight: 80 Kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper color (Semi Bald)
Skin Colour: Fair
Family & Wife
He is the eighth children out of nine of his parents. He don’t disclose any information about his parents as per the media sources. Dr Devi Prasad Shetty is married to wife Shakuntala both were happily married couple. They have three children daughter Ameya Shetty, son Anish Shetty and Varun Shetty (best cardiac surgeon in Bangalore).
Dr Devi Prasad Shetty started career when he moved back to India in 1989 and started working at B.M. Birla Hospital in Kolkata.
He was first performed neonatal heart surgery on a 9 day old baby named Ronnie in 1992. Thereafter he moved to Bangalore and worked on Manipal Heart Foundation at Manipal Hospitals, Bangalore.
In 2001, he founded Narayana Hrudayalaya, multi-speciality hospital in Bommasandra, Bangalore. Narayana Rudayalaya is the largest heart hospital with 1000 beds and performed daily 30 major heart surgeries. In his hospital daily 15,000 outpatients.
Dr Devi Prasad Shetty announced agreement with TriMedx (subsidiary of Ascension Health) to joint venture and created large chain of hospitals in India like on Cayman Islands he is planned to 2000 beds hospital.
Thereafter he founded Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences (RTIICS) in Kolkata.
And contracted with Karnataka government to build 5000 beds hospital near Bangalore International Airport. Afterthat, he signed contract with Gujarat government to build 5000 beds hospital in Ahmedabad.
He has 32 years work experience in his profession as Senior consultant cardiac surgeon in BM Birla Heart Research Centre, Kolkata (1989-1996) and Manipal Heart Foundation (1996-2001), Bangalore and Narayana Health, Bangalore (2001 – till date).
Awards & Honors
In our life he received many awards and honors:
- In 2018, Lifetime Achievement Award for Clinical Care (Gold) and Lifetime Achievement for Public Leadership (Gold).
- In 2015, Dr. Ida S. Scudder Humanitarian Oration Award.
- In 2014, Doctor of Science from IIT, Madras and Nikkei Asia Prize in the category of Economic and Business Innovation 2014 in Tokyo.
- In 2013, FT Arcelor Mittal Boldness in Business Awards.
- In 2012, Awarded by Government of India Padma Bhushan, third highest civilian award.
- In 2011, The Economist Innovation Award for Lowering Health Care Costs, The President’s Award by Minnesota Chapter, Doctor of Laws (Honoris Causa) University of Minnesota, USA, Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by University of Mysore and Indian of the Year 2010 – Awarded by NDTV.
- In 2010, Commendation for driving affordable and quality healthcare for all Healthcare Awards Program by ICICI Lombard & CNBC TV18.
- In 2005, Social Entrepreneurship Award by World Economic Forum.
- In 2004, India Innovation Award by NDTV & EMPI (Awarded to Micro Health Insurance Division), Citizen Extraordinaire, Rotary and Dr. B C Roy Award (Highest Indian award for the Doctor from Medical council of India).
- In 2003, Padma Shri (India’s fourth highest civilian award), Ernst & Young – Entrepreneur of the Year, Sir M. Visvesvaraya Memorial Award.
- In 2002, Rajyotsava Award.
Net Worth & Salary
Dr Devi Prasad Shetty net worth is $1 Billion. Because he establishes India’s best and low cost affordable healthcare in India like Narayana Healthcare. In India, he established 21big healthcare centres. His one open heart surgery is low fees and earns $800 dollar per surgery. His monthly salary and income is in Crores. Dr Devi Prasad Shetty net worth in Indian Rs. 74,22,50,00,000.
Amazing Facts of Dr Devi Prasad Shetty
- He is the professor of International Health in University of Minnesota Medical School, USA.
- He is the professor of Rajeev Gandhi University of Health Science, Bangalore, India.
- He is the specialist of Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery.
- He was also operated Mother Teresa when she had a heart attack and appoint as her personal physician.
- In 2020, he was cast in the Netflix documentary series “The Surgeon’s Cut” and in that episode Dr Shetty and his team doing treatment of patients, mostly children and babies on low cost healthcare and performing daily 30 major cardiac surgeries.
- He made a low cost health insurance scheme ‘Yeshasvini’ for the poor farmers of the Karnataka, under this health scheme 40 Lakhs people covered.
- The Wall Street Journal newspaper described Dr Shetty as the Henry Ford of cardiac surgery.
- His hospital provide free care speciality for poor children.
- In his all hospitals he get down the coronary bypass surgery to $800 within a decade.
- He and his family have 75% shareholding in Narayana Hrudayalaya.
- He is the pioneered for low cost diagnostic healthcare facilities.
- He perform free surgery for poor peoples in northern India and poor peoples titled Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty as “Bypasswale Baba”.
- In all India, he built 21 centres of Narayana Healthcare.
- He was part of 7 member panel of Board of Governors.
- He created world’s cheapest health insurance scheme with the Karnataka government at Rs. 10 per month for the poor peoples of the northern India.
- He is the first surgeon in India to perform neo-natal open heart cardiac surgery, also first surgeon of India use an artificial heart.
- His hobby is to travel world’s beautiful destinations.
- He and his team performed 1,20,000 heart surgeries, 40% of them are on children.
- Bada Business co-founder meet with Dr Devi Prasad Shetty and discuss about his professional experience.