Draupadi Murmu is an Indian politician who is in trending news for being the candidate selected by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for the 2022 Indian Presidential Elections. But also, Draupadi Murmu is the ninth governor of Jharkhand state till 2021.
Draupadi Murmu was born on Friday, 20th of July, 1958 (Age: 64 years; As of 2022) in Mayurbhanj, Odhisha.
Her hometown is in Baldaposi village, Mayurbhanj, Odhisha. Her nationality is Indian. Her zodiac sign is Gemini.
Draupadi completed his schooling at the K.B. HS Uparbeda School, Mayurbhanj. She pursued a Bachelor of Arts degree at Rama Devi Women’s College, Bhubaneshwar, Odhisa, India. Draupadi follows the Hinduism religion. Draupadi belongs to the Scheduled Tribe caste. Her ethnicity belongs to the Santhal tribe. Her signature is in the Hindi language.
Height (approx): 5′ 5″ inches
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family, Husband & Children
Draupadi Murmu was born into a lower-middle-class family in Odisha. Her father’s name is Biranchi Narayan Tudu, who was a farmer. Draupadi’s father and grandfather were the headmen of her village. She has two brother, Bhagat Tudu and Sarani Tudu.
Draupadi Murmu was married to Shyam Charan Murmu (husband), a bank officer who died in 2014. She had two sons, one was Laxman Murmu, who died in 2013 and the other son died in 2009. Draupadi has one daughter, Itishri Murmu (bank officer).
In a media interview, she said that when she lost her two sons, she suffered from Depression. She said,
“I have witnessed many ups and downs in life. I have lost my two sons and my husband. I was completely devastated. But God has given me the strength to continue to serve the people.”
Hometown Residential Address
She resides in village Baldaposi, P.O. – Rairangpur, W.No. -2 District, Mayurbhanj, Odisha.
She worked as an assistant professor at Shri Aurobindo Integral Education and Research Centre, Rairangpur before she join politics.
In the year 1979, Draupadi Murmu started working as a junior assistant at the irrigation department of Odisha and worked till there 1983.
In 1997, Draupadi started her political career when she became a councilor in the Rairangpur district of Odisha. Also in the same year, Draupadi also served as the Vice-Chairperson of Rairangpur.
In the year 2000, Draupadi started working in the Transport, Commerce, Fisheries, and Animal Husbandry department and worked till 2004. Draupadi won the assembly elections from the Rairangpur constituency in 2004, after which she was elected as the Minister of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
In 2004, Draupadi again won the assembly elections and was elected as the Member of the Legislative Assembly of Bharatiya Janata Party from the Rairangpur constituency.
Draupadi was elected as the District President of Bharatiya Janata Party in Mayurbhanj and State President of BJP Scheduled Tribe Morcha in 2006. She also served in the post from 2006-2009.
She was elected as the ninth governor of Jharkhand state in May 2015 to till 2021.
In 2022, Draupadi Murmu was selected as the candidate for the BJP party for the Indian Presidential Elections 2022.
Draupadi Murmu won the Presidential Elections 2022 defeating Yashwant Sinha’s (opponent). She is the 15th President of India, and also the second lady President of India.
Draupadi Murmu received the Nilkantha award for best Member of Legislative Assembly by Odisha Legislative Assembly in 2007.
Assets & Properties
Her movable assets:
Cash: Rs. 1 Lakh 80 thousand
Bank Deposits, Financial Institutions, and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs. 5 Lakh 5 thousand
LIC or other insurance policies: Rs. One Lakh thirty thousand
Jewelry: Rs. Two Lakh Sixty Thousand
Total Value: Rs. 10,75,000 (Ten Lakh Seventy Five Thousand)
Draupadi Murmu’s net worth as of 2009 was Rs. 6,10,000. But as of now in 2022, we expect his net worth is in Crores as per her multiple positions in the Indian government as like MLA and governor.
Amazing Facts of Draupadi Murmu
- Draupadi’s hobbies are reading and knitting.
- Draupadi Murmu said that after she died, her eyes would be donated to the Kashyap Memorial Eye Hospital in Ranchi.
- She left her government job to take care of her children in 1983 as an assistant professor.
In a media interview, Draupadi said that after she started following Brahmakumari Nirmala, she was able to fight the depression which she was suffering after her husband and two son’s death. In the year 2018, Brahmakumari Nirmala tied a rakhi to Draupadi Murmu.
- Draupadi was the first governor of Jharkhand who serve a five-year term.
- According to Murmu, she changed her in-law’s house into a trust and donated it to a school. Her trust name is “SLS” (which was kept after her husband and son’s name). The SLS trust covers an area of more than 4 acres.
- Draupadi did a video conference with many university chancellors to discuss their academic and administrative functions in 2021.
- Draupadi met Pratyush Banerjee’s parents in relation to the suicide case of their daughter in 2016.
- In a media interview, BJP party members said that Draupadi always took a stand for tribal rights. The party members commented on Draupadi and said,
Her candidature is perfect, and she has always raised issues of the people. During her governorship, she often summoned the DGP or other senior officials whenever there were reports of atrocities on tribals or women.
- Draupadi Murmu became the first tribal to be nominated as a candidate by the Bharatiya Janata Party for the Indian Presidential Elections of 2022. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter to congratulate her and wrote,
Millions of people, especially those who have experienced poverty and faced hardships, derive great strength from the lift of Smt. Droupadi Murmu Ji. Her understanding of policy matters and compassionate nature will greatly benefit our country.
- Draupadi Murmu’s ancestral house is in Upbeda, where she kept all her awards and recognitions of her childhood.
- Draupadi was elected for the 2017 Indian Presidential Elections from Jharkhand but she did not win the elections 2017.
- In a media interview, Draupadi Ji expressed her feelings after getting selected as a candidate for the Indian Presidential Elections 2022 and said,
I am surprised as well as delighted. As a tribal woman from the remote Mayurbhanj district, I had not thought about becoming the candidate for the top post.
- In 2022, Draupadi Murmu was provided Z+ category security after her selection for the Presidential Elections 2022. After the selection, a video of Draupadi sweeping the floor at Shiv temple in Rairangpur was shown on many news media channels.
Read other Biographies Below: