Mehul Choksi is a famous Indian businessman, who is the owner of Gitanjali Jewellery Company. According to reports, he was involved in the fraud case of Punjab National Bank of approximately Rs. 11,400 crores and involved in stock market manipulation in 2013. Check out Mehul Choksi Wiki, Age, Height, Weight, Wife, Children, Caste, Family, Net Worth, Biography & More.
Mehul Choksi was born on 5th May 1959 in Mumbai, India. His full name is Mehul Chinubhai Choksi. His zodiac sign is Taurus. His nationality is Indian from 1959 to 2017. He has citizenship of Antiguan, an island. He runs the Gitanjali Gems Limited, which is one of the biggest integrated diamond and jeweller retailers in India.
Gitanjali has different jewellery products and diamond brands such as Gili, Nakshatra, Asmi, D’damas, Maya, Diya, Sangini, Collection g, Gold Expressions, etc. The company also export its products of diamond and jewellery to international markets as well such as in Italy, Antwerp, China, Japan, Thailand, Hong Kong, etc.
Height: 5′ 5″ inch
Weight: 120 Kg
Eye Colour: Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Skin Colour: Fair
He is approximately 5′ 5″ inch tall and weighs around 120 kg. He has dark brown eyes and black hair.
He belongs to a Gujarati family. His father Chinubhai Choksi has also been a diamond trader. His nephew Nirav Modi is a famous businessman who founded the diamond jewellery company Firestar Diamonds International and launched his brand, Nirav Modi.
He follows the Jain religion. He has also his younger brother named Chetan Chinubhai Choksi, owned a diamond company named Diminico NV in Antwerp, Belgium.
Wife & Children
His wife name is Priti Choksi.
He is a married man and has one son Rohan and two daughters,
one of them named Priyanka. One of his daughter married to Antwerp based diamond merchant Akash Mehta in December 2010.
After schooling, Mehul started studying at the G.D. Modi College in Palanpur, Gujarat affiliated by University of Mumbai, but he dropped out of the school and began working together with his father in his diamond jewellery company Gitanjali Gems Limited in 1975. He later started running his father’s business and in 1995 became the director of this company.
On 19 December 2006, Gitanjali acquired Samuel Jewelers Inc. that operates a national chain of retail stores and have become the bulk shareholder and vendor partner of Samuel. The 111 high-end stores came under Gitanjali. within the same year, he launched the IPO of his company.
- Like the former Managing Director of Gitanjali Gems Limited Santosh Srivastava and many other franchise holders of Gitanjali claimed that most of the diamonds sold by Mehul Choksi were lab produced with low valuations in comparison with the selling price.
- In February 2018, Punjab National Bank (PNB) filed a complaint against his nephew Nirav Modi by alleging that he was defrauding the bank of approximately Rs. 11,400 crores. As per the reports, Mehul Choksi, Ami Modi (Nirav Modi’s wife), and Nishal Modi (Nirav Modi’s brother) have also involved in this case of fraud. The bank also claimed that they were fraudently involved in issuing bank guarantees or Letters of Undertakings (LoU) at the Mid Corporate Branch of the bank in the Brady House of Mumbai. The Directorate of Enforcement handles this case.
- On 23 May 2021, he has gone missing in Antigua and Barbuda. He was last seen around 5:15 pm on 23 May before leaving his range in a car which has been recovered by the police in Jolly Harbour area. it had been reported that he may have fled to Cuba. On 26 May, he was found during a nearby Caribbean country of Dominica while trying to escape to Cuba by a ship and is held by the local police.
Amazing Facts of Mehul Choksi
- During his teenage years, he wanted to become the world’s largest luxury player in branded jewellery.
- Some popular celebrities like Katrina Kaif, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, etc. endorsed his brands.
- In 2011, he received the outstanding entrepreneurship award at the Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Awards in New Delhi.
- He is famous for Alleged bank fraud, wanted by Indian Judicial Authorities, Owner of Gitanjali Group.
- His criminal charges Criminal conspiracy, Criminal breach of trust, Cheating and dishonesty including delivery of property, Corruption, Money laundering.
- In May 2021, he was rumuoured with girlfriend name Barbara Jarabica.
- He was caught and arrested in Dominica, island country of Carribbean.
You can also read many Biographies like Larry Page, Mohammed Bin Salman, and Xi Jinping.