Dr Mohamed Rela is a famous renowned Indian surgeon of liver transplantation and hepatopancreatobiliary surgery. He was doing a liver transplantation on 5 day old baby and created a World Guinness Book Record. He is one of the world’s best liver transplant surgeons. He is the chairperson, founder and director of Dr Rela Institute and Medical centre in Chennai, India. Check all the details about Dr Mohamed Rela Wiki, Age, Education, Wife, Family, Net Worth, Biography, Facts & More.
Dr Mohamed Rela was born in the year 1959 (Age 62 years; As in 2021) in Kiliyanur village near Mayiladuthurai town, Tamil Nadu, India. His religion is Muslim. His nationality is Indian.
Dr Mohamed Rela is expert and specialise in liver transplantation, split liver transplantation, auxiliary liver transplantation resection for HCC, cholangio carcinoma, hepatoblastoma pancreatincoduodenectomy.
He did his schooling from Besant Theosophical Higher Secondary School in Adyar Chennai.
He completed his MBBS from Stanley Medical College, University of Madras in 1992 and M.S in 1987.
Thereafter, Dr Mohamed Rela completed his FRCS in 1988 from Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK.
Later in 2013, Dr Mohamed Rela get honoured degree DSc from Dr MGR Medical University, Tamil Nadu, India.
Height: 5′ 7″ inch
Weight: 60 Kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Grey White
Skin Colour: Fair
Family & Wife
Dr Mohamed Rela is born in a South Indian family, his father Haji S A Shamsudin and mother Hasma Beevi. Both were very supportive to educate Dr Mohamed Rela for higher studies. He don’t disclose any further information about his wife and children according to all the internet and media sources.
Dr Mohamed Rela started his career from United Kingdom and worked in various hospitals before joining as the Professor of liver surgery at London’s King’s College Hospital in 1991. He was master experienced in liver transplantation, split liver transplantation techniques and donor liver transplantation at working in King’s College.
He was transplanted a 5 day old baby about 20 years back and created a World Guinness Book Record in 2000, this baby is healthy now and a lawyer in Ireland.
Later, Dr Mohamed Rela moved back to India in 2003 worked in Global Hospital, Hyderabad till 2018.
After that he set up successful medical facility with 450 beds in which 130 critical care beds and 14 operating rooms at Dr Mohamed Rela Institute and Medical Centre living donor Liver Transplant in 2018.
Dr Mohamed Rela is performing 250 liver transplant in a year. He was providing all the medical facilities in Tamil Nadu tier 2 cities with low cost. In our career of 30 years he transplanted 4500+ liver successfully.
Achievements of Dr Mohamed Rela
He was achieved many achievements in his career:
- He was successfully transplanted liver on 5 day old baby girl in 1997 and made a Guinnes Book of Records in 2000.
- He carried first living related liver transplant of UK 18 month old patient Luke Bettelley with acute liver failure was just 45 hours to live before the operation in 1999.
- He successfully execute liver transplant for four and half year old girl suffering from terminal stage liver disease Pranali Bhat from Ahmedabad at Global Hospital, Hyderabad in 2003.
- He was successfully transplanted liver six times for a patient to save her life performing bone marrow transplant in 2003 at King’s College Hospital, London.
- He was successfully transplanted liver of 5 year old Pakistani girl Batul Hasan at Global Hospital, Hyderabad in 2004.
- He was successfully transplanted first split liver of a young girl at Global Hospital, Hyderabad in 2009.
- He and his team was successfully transplanted first swap liver on adults at Global Hospital, Hyderbad in 2011.
Views of Dr Mohamed Rela
To address the health care concerns of the local population with international standards and aim to provide cost effective high end treatments like multi-organ transplantation.
Memberships & Affiliations
Dr Mohamed Rela is the member of many organisations and society:
- British Medical Association.
- Royal Society of Medicine.
- British Transplantation Society.
- International liver transplant society.
- Association of Upper GI surgeons of Great Britain.
- European Society of Organ Transplantation.
- British Association of Study of the Liver.
- International Hepato-Pancreato Biliary Association.
- The Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver.
- American Society of Transplantation.
Awards & Honors
Dr Mohamed Rela is awarded and honoured by many associations and organisations:
- In 1996, he is awarded by Panchanna Chaterjee Oration and Gold Medal from Association of Surgeons of India.
- In 2001, Senior Lecturer at King’s College, University of London and Recognised Teacher status and PhD Supervisor at University of London.
- In 2005, Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation at King’s College, University of London.
- In 2009, Scroll of Honour and Medal from Jawaharlal Institute of Post graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry.
- In 2010, Dr Madhanagopal Oration and Medal from Madras Medical College.
- In 2012, Scroll of Honour from Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University.
Dr Mohamed Rela don’t disclosed his net worth and salary according to media sources. But he is very talented and famous surgeons of India of the liver transplant surgeries, abdominal trauma, HPB surgery. According to his profession and his experience of 30 years Dr Mohamed Rela net worth is no clarification but his liver transplant fees of one patient is Rs. 24-27 Lakhs and as approx his salary of one month is approx Rs. 1 Crore and Dr Mohamed Rela is the founder of Rela Institute, Hyderabad, Chennai at low effective cost treatment with international medical facilities.
Amazing Facts of Dr Mohamed Rela
- He is the best and famous surgeon of liver transplant in South India.
- In 2009, he started Institute of Liver disease and transplantation at Global Gleneagle Health City.
- Dr Mohamed Rela is the only liver surgeon in India who write 600+ scientific publications.
- He was envisaged to started Master class in Liver disease to deliver high quality teaching in liver disease and transplantation.
- He is very busy hepaobiliary surgeon.
- His research interest in the field of clinical liver transplantation, liver preservation and liver regeneration.
- He was honoured with Doctorate of Science degress from three universities.
- Dr Mohamed Rela is the Professor of Liver surgery and transplantation at King’s College Hospital, London.