Saikhom Mirabai Chanu is many time winning famous Indian weightlifter. Saikhom Mirabai Chanu became famous when she won the India’s first medal in Tokyo Olympics in Women’s 49 kg category. She won many world championships and many medals in Commonwealth Games. Check all the details below about Saikhom Mirabai Chanu Wiki, Age, Height, Husband, Family, Net Worth, Biography & More.
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu was born on 8th August 1994 (Age : 26 years; As in 2020) in Nongpok Kakching, Imphal, Manipur. Her zodiac sign is Leo. Her short name is Mirabai Chanu. Her hometown is in Manipur, India. Her religion is Hinduism and food habit is non-vegetarian. Her profession is Weightlifting.
Height: 4′ 11″ inch
Weight: 49 Kg (approx)
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Family & Husband
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu was born into a Meitei family (Manipuri people). Her father Saikhom Kriti Meitei works as employee at the Public Works Department and mother Saikhom Ongbi Tombi Leima is a shopkeeper.
She has five siblings. Her brother name is Saikhom Sanatomba Meitei and sister name Saikom Rangita and Saikhom Shaya. Saikhom Mirabai Chanu is unmarried and she has still no boyfriend/husband.
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu started her career at the age of 11 when she won the first gold medal in our school for weightlifting. Thereafter, she practiced and won the nationals of weightlifting. She won her life first silver medal in the 48 kg weightlifting catergoy in Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014.
Thereafter, Saikhom Mirabai Chanu qualified for 2016 Rio Olympics to participate in 48 kg weightlifting category but failed in third attempt.
In 2017, she won the gold medal in World Championships 2017 held at Anaheim in 49 kg weightlifting. Saikhom Mirabai Chanu won the 2018 Gold Coast in Commonwealth Games in 48 kg weightlifting category.
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu also won bronze medal in 2019 Asian Weightlifting Championship in 49 kg category. In 2020, she won gold medal at Senior National Weightlifting Championships in 49 kg category.
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu won silver medal in 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, she is the first Indian weightlifter to win silver olympics medal for India in 49 kg category.
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu created olympic record to lift 115 kg in clean and jerk.
Awards, Medals and Cash Prizes
- In 2018, she was awarded Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna by Government of India.
- She joined the Swachch Bharat Mission.
- In 2018, she was awarded Padma Shri by Government of India.
- In 2017, she received cash prize of Rs. 20 lakh from Manipur Government from winning gold medal at 2017 World Weightlifting Championships.
- In 2021, she received cash prize of Rs. 50 lakh from Government of India.
- In 2021, she received cash prize of Rs. 1 Crore from Manipur Government.
- In 2021, she received cash prize of Rs. 10+ Crore from private donor in India for winning Olympic medal at Tokyo Olympics.
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu net worth is approx Rs. 1 Crore received information from media sources. She is great Indian weightlifter and received many prizes, medals and cash prizes from Indian government.
And also she has a government job of ticket collector offered by the Indian government.
Social Handle of Saikhom Mirabai Chanu
Amazing Facts of Saikhom Mirabai Chanu
- Since childhood, her family identified his strength when she was at the age of 12, she could easily lifted high weight like huge bundle of firewood.
- In 2018, she was awarded by India fourth highest civilian award.
- She won many medals at Commonwealth Games.
- She won 2 gold medals, 2 silver medals and 1 bronze medal in our weightlifting career.
- In 2019, she broke her personal weightlifting record and lifted 203 kgs and created new national record.
- She was looking gorgeous in her traditional dress style.
- In 2021, she created world record by lifting massive 119 kg and won bronze medal.
- Her favourite is Pizza and Ice Cream.
- She got training by coach Vijay Sharma, Aaron Horschig.
- Her hobby is to travel beautiful destinations and listening music in free time.
- Her favourite food is Kangsoi.
- She is the sixth and youngest child in our family.
- Her ideal for weightlifting is Kunjarani Devi. During an interview, she told that
When I was a kid, I first saw Kunjarani Devi, the sport looked so appealing, I was baffled at how she was lifting such heavyweights. So I told my parents that I wanted to do this, with much reluctance they agreed. In our state, you can compare Kunjarani to weightlifting and Sania Mirza is to tennis. Every Manipuri girl wanted to be like her. I saw Kunjarani Devi’s performance at the 2004 Olympics and dreamt of podium glory.
During her childhood days, she had to travel 44 km daily to got training at Khuman Lampak Sports Complex in Imphal.
- During the training of weightlifting, her coach gives diet charts in which included chicken and milk were essential for training. But she said, due to her family financial condition, she couldn’t affort it everyday.
- In 2013, she was awarded as the Best Lifter Award at the Junior National Championship in Guwahati.
- On 31st August 2015, she was appointed government job as Senior Ticket Collector in the Indian Railways.
- When she won the Silver medal in Tokyo Olympics, she express to eat pizza and ice cream after the winning. After viral this news Dominos India tweeted,
Aapne Kaha, aur humne sunn liya We never want @mirabai_chanu to wait to eat again so we’re treating her to FREE Domino’s pizza for lift!#PizzasForLife
Check other Biographies