Dr. Harsh Vardhan is an Indian Otohinolarngologist and also an Indian Politician from Bhartiya Janata Party. He is appointed as the Minister of Science and Technology, Minister of Health and Family Welfare and Minister of Earth Sciences in the Modi government. Check more details below about Harsh Vardhan Wiki, Age, Caste, Family, Wife, Children, Net Worth, Biography & More.
Harsh Vardhan was born on 13rd December, 1954 (Age 67 years; As in 2021) in Delhi, India. His full name is Harshvardhan Goel. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius. His caste is Hindu Baniya. His nationality is Indian. Since childhood he is a member of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). He lives in the house built by his father in Krishna Nagar.
A non-smoker and teetotaler, Dr Harsh Vardhan believes in the medical efficacy of yoga and physical exercises. He had made sports, yoga and value education compulsory in the school curriculum of Delhi when he was Education Minister.
He did his schooling from Happy School, Daryaganj, Delhi in 1971. Thereafter, he attended Zakir Husain Delhi College of the University of Delhi for Bachelor of Medicine and Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Memorial Medical College for Bachelor of Surgery in 1979. Afterwards, he did his Master of Surgery in Otohinolaryngology from Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University in 1983.
Height: 5′ 5″ inch
Weight: 76 Kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Skin Colour: Fair
Harsh Vardhan was born into a Hindu Baniya family. His father name is Late Om Prakash Goel and mother name is Sneh Lata Goel.
Wife & Children
Harsh Vardhan married to Nutan. His wife is a specialist in hospital administration but preferred to be a housewife.
He has two sons – Dr Mayank Bharat, who has done his MBBS and MBA from Indian School of Business, Hyderabad.
Sachin, who did his Accountancy and Finance graduation from Monash University and at present works for Ernst and young daughter, Inakshi, who finished her graduation B.com (Honors) from Delhi University recently.
His political journey as the president of the Delhi University Students Union in 1977-78. He started his political career when he was elected as a member of Delhi Assembly representing Krishna Nagar in 1993. He was appointed as the State Minister of Health and Minister of Law for Delhi.
He was appointed as the State Minister of Health in 1994 and he implemented pilot project of the Pulse Polio Programme which involved more than 1 million children upto age 3 in Delhi. Later, he became Delhi Minister of Education in 1996.
In 1997, his proposal accept on the Delhi Prohibition of Smoking and Non-Smokers Health Protection Act Passed in Delhi. He has been re-elected from Krishna Nagar constituency in 1998, 2003, 2008, 2013 and won all the elections. In 2003, he was in charge of the youth affairs ministry, and has also served as the minister of statistics and program implementation, and MOS PMO.
On 23rd October 2013, he was named to be the Chief Minister candidate for Delhi Assembly elections by the BJP. But after elections, they fell short to prove the absolute majority and unable to form the government. In 2014, he was contested from Chandni Chowk and defeated Union Minister of Law and Justice Kapil Sibbal of Congress Party.
On 26th May 2014, he was appointed as the Minister of Health and Family Welfare in Modi government. In May 2017, Harsh Vardhan was given the additional position of Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change. Thereafter, he again contested from Chandni Chowk and defeated Congree candidate Jai Prakash Aggarwal by margin of 2 Lakh votes.
On 30 May 2019, he was appointed as a Cabinet Minister in second Modi government. Harsh Vardhan took charge of Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Minister of Science and Technology and Minister of Earth Sciences. Harsh Vardhan was elected to the office of Chairperson of Executive Board of the World Health Organization from May 22, 2020.
Views on Health
Delhi’s population explosion should not lead to epidemics and the resultant human loss. The human resource of India’s capital must be protected from infectious diseases like malaria, dengue, diahorrea, etc. Hygiene must be maintained in public places.
Large parts of Delhi, in fact 50 per cent of its population, are yet to be sewered. This endangers the population to a great extent. The public hospitals must be enlarged and made more efficient. Blood banks should never run out of stocks.
The personnel in the health services department must be made accountable. In the 1990s, I had formed a Polio Sena, or volunteer army of children who took a vow to rid Delhi of polio. Something along those lines must be attempted again.
– By Harsh Vardhan
- At the 105th Indian Science Congress in March 2018, after the death of legendary British scientist Hawking , Vardhan claimed that Hawking had said that the Vedas postulated a theory superior to Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity, despite the very fact that there’s no record of Hawking having made the statement.
- In 2019, after the Health Effects Institute released a scientific report estimating 1.2 million annual deaths in India thanks to pollution , Vardhan denied the results, arguing that this report was intended to make panic.
- In 2021, Indian Medical Association, the most important association of doctors in India, issued a press release which objected to Union health minister Harsh Vardhan who was endorsing Coronil, a product of Patanjali Ayurved. Indian Medical Association questioned the ethics of a health minister of the country to release such falsely fabricated unscientific product to the people of the country.
Favourite Colour: Orange
Favourite Player: Virendra Sehwag
Favourite Sport: Cricket
Favourite Politician: Narendra Modi
Awards & Honours
Harsh Vardhan has received many awards and honours following are:
- IMA President’s Special Award of Appreciation by the Indian Medical Association in 1994.
- Director-General’s Polio Eradication Champion Award Commendation Medal by the World Health Organization in 1998.
- Polio Eradication Champion Award by the Rotary International in 2001.
- “Doctor of the last Decade” (Swasthya Ratna) by Indian Medical Association’s New Delhi branch in 2002.
House Address & Contact
Permanent Address : E-8A/14, Krishna Nagar, Delhi-51.
Present Address: 8, Tees January Marg, New Delhi – 110 011.
Contact No: 9810115311
Harsh Vardhan owns two beautiful cars first one is Zen Estilo,
and another one is Toyota Etios Liva.
Dr Harsh Vardhan net worth is Rs. 2.64 Crores (As in 2021). His assets is Rs. 2.82 Crores and his liabilities is Rs. 17.8 Lakhs. His net worth is in Crores because he is a doctor by profession and a big politician since 1993.
Harsh Vardhan Social Handles
The ‘Whole of Society’ has been playing a crucial role in fighting #COVID19
— Dr Harsh Vardhan (@drharshvardhan) May 29, 2021
Amazing Facts of Harsh Vardhan
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan has been a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh activist from his childhood, which gradually saw his greater participation in politics.
- Harsh Vardhan visited more than 10 countries like USA, England, Switzerland, Finland, Sweden, Mauritius, Nepal, Philippines, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Indonesia, Japan, Brazil, Thailand.
- He was fielded as BJP’s Chief Minister candidate during the 2014 Delhi assembly elections.
- Harsh Vardhan has never lost an election thus far be it Vidhan Sabha or Lok Sabha.
- His hobby is to reading books and travelling.
- He debut as Member of Legislative Assembly in 1993.
- He debut as Member of Parliament in 2014.