Jack O’Connell is an English actor who first found fame as James Cook in Skins in 2009-2010, 2013. Jack O’Connell is also known for Pukey Nicholls in This Is England in 2006, roles in the slasher film Eden Lake in 2009, and the television dramas Dive in 2010 and so many roles he plays in so various movies and shows. Also, he received the BAFTA Rising Star Award. Check all the details given below about Jack O’Connell’s Wiki, Age, Height, Weight, Family, Girlfriend, Profession, Salary, Net Worth, biography & More.
Jack O’Connell Wiki/Biography
Jack O’Connell was born on 1st August 1990, (Age: 32 years; as of 2022) in Alvaston, Derbyshire, England. His nationality is English and his ethnicity is White. His zodiac sign is Leo and he follows Christianity (religion). His profession is a famous English Actor.
Jack O’Connell Educational Qualification
Jack O’Connell doesn’t disclose any information about his schooling. So, we assume that he completed his schooling in his hometown. And after that, he starts working on his dream of becoming an actor. He starts acting in so many shows and movies and work hard to fulfill his dream.
Jack O’Connell Physical Stats
- Height: 5′ 7″ inches
- Weight: 77kg
- Body Measurement: 38-36-14
- Hair Color: Brown
- Eye Color: Blue
- Tattoos: Yes
Jack O’Connell Family & Parents
Jack O’Connell was born into a middle-class family to English Parents. His father’s name is Johnny Patrick O’Connell was an Irish citizen who worked on British railways for Bombardier until his death from pancreatic cancer in 2009.
His mother’s name is Alison she is English and was employed by the airline British Midland before taking on the management of her son’s career. Also, he has one sister Megan who is an actress. And, his grandfather’s name is Gutteridge he is a player and later manager at Burton Albion FC.
Jack O’Connell Girfriend & Relationships
Jack’s dating status is single and his marital status is unmarried. According to the sources, currently, he doesn’t date any girl but previously in 2012 he dated Tulisa and From 2007 to 2009 he dated Kaya Scodelario. But now, Jack O’Connell is still single.
Jack O’Connell Career & Stats
Since the start of his career, Jack O’Connell has mainly played young delinquents, The New York Times writer John Freeman noted retrospectively, “If a British film called for a tough case, a grappler, someone with a bit of grit, chances were O’Connell got the part. Jack has delivered one gripping physical performance after another, bringing an electric authenticity to the portrayal of angry, troubled youth.
Jack O’Connell makes his professional acting debut in 2005 when he played a runaway with anger issues in an episode of Doctors, followed by a recurring role as a boy accused of rape in The Bill. His stage debut came that same year after a rendition of the play The Spider-Men by the Television Workshop was selected to be performed at the Royal National Theatre in London. At age 15, he was deemed too old to play the main character, leading filmmaker Shane Meadows to write the supporting role of the belligerent Pukey specifically for him.
In 2007, O’Connell appeared in television episodes of Waterloo Road, Holby City, and Wire in the Blood. He played a 15-year-old pupil involved in a sexual relationship with his teacher in the play Scarborough,j first performed at the Edinburgh Festival before its transfer the following year to London’s Royal Court Theatre. In the horror–thriller Eden Lake (2008), which received positive reviews, O’Connell played a psychopathic gang leader who terrorizes a young married couple.
Jack O’Connell first found fame, chiefly among people his age, as the troubled and hard-living James Cook in the third and fourth series of the E4 teen drama Skins in 2009-2010. As a preposterously ramped-up bad boy, Cook was almost like a baby Tyler Durden. Jack won a TV Choice Award for Best Actor for his performance in the fourth series. Jack O’Connell later reprised his role in the feature-length special Skins Rise in 2013, which follows a twenty-something Cook on the run from authorities.
Jack O’Connell impressed lead actor Michael Caine, who shouted “Star of the future!” at him during filming. His portrayal of a teenaged father in the BBC Two drama Dive in 2010 earned him critical praise; Euan Ferguson of The Guardian described it as “a performance that is of an actor twice his years: mesmerizing, comedic and soulful.” Jack O’Connell starred as football player Bobby Charlton in another well-received BBC Two drama, United in 2011, which chronicles the 1958 Munich air crash that killed eight players of Manchester United.
Similarly, the thriller Tower Block (2012), about flat tenants under attack from a sniper, received mixed reviews, but The Hollywood Reporter critic Jordan Mintzer singled out O’Connell as “the standout” as the building’s protection racketeer. Jack O’Connell career breakthrough came when he started in the independent prison drama Starred Up in 2013. His portrayal of a violent teenager incarcerated in the same prison as his father received widespread critical acclaim; Entertainment Weekly critic Chris Nashawaty wrote, “O’Connell bristles with terrifying hair-trigger unpredictability.
Watching him, you feel like you’re witnessing the arrival of a new movie star.” Jack O’Connell was director Yann Demange’s first and only choice for the part. He received consecutive nominations for the British Independent Film Award for Best Actor. Jack O’Connell played his first leading role in a major Hollywood picture, Unbroken in 2014 directed by Angelina Jolie. He portrayed Louis Zamperini, an Italian-American Olympic distance runner who, as a bombardier in the Second World War, survived a plane crash over the Pacific and was held for two years in Japanese prisoner-of-war camps.
To prepare for the role, Jack O’Connell underwent a strict diet to lose almost 30 pounds and worked with a dialect coach to mask his thick Derbyshire accent. For his work in Starred Up and Unbroken, O’Connell received the Breakthrough Award from the National Board of Review. He additionally became the tenth recipient of the publicly voted BAFTA Rising Star Award. In August 2021, it was announced that O’Connell had joined the cast of a film adaption of Lady Chatterley’s Lover, playing the lover, Oliver.
Jack O’Connell Filmography
- In 2006, He worked in This Is England.
- In 2008, He worked in Eden Lake.
- In 2009, He worked in Harry Brown.
- In 2011, He worked in Weekender.
- In 2012, He worked in Tower Block, Private Peaceful, and The Liability.
- In 2014, He worked in ’71, 300: Rise of an Empire, and Unbroken.
- In 2016, He worked in Money Monster.
- In 2017, He worked in The Man with the Iron Heart, and Tulip Fever.
- In 2018, He worked in Tribal by Fire.
- In 2019, He worked in Seberg and Jungleland.
- In 2021, He worked in Little Fish.
- In 2022, He worked in Lady Chatterley’s Lover.
Jack O’Connell Television
- In 2005, he worked in Doctors and The Bill.
- In 2007, he worked in Waterloo Road, Holby City, and Wire in the Blood.
- In 2009, he worked in Wuthering Heights.
- In 2009-2010, 2013, he worked in Skins.
Jack O’Connell Awards
- In 2008, he won Fright Meter Awards in the category of Best Supporting Actor.
- In 2009, he won Fantasporto International Fantasy Film Awards in the category of Best Actor.
- In 2010, he was nominated Monte-Carlo Television Festival Golden Nymph Awards in the category of Outstanding Actor-Drama Series.
- In 2010, he won the TV Choice Award in the category of Best Actor.
- In 2013, he nominate the British Independent Film Awards in the category of Best Actor.
- In 2013, he won Les Arcs European Film Festival Awards in the category of Best Actor.
- In 2014, he nominate for the BAFTA Scotland Awards in the category of Best Actor.
- In 2014, he won Chicago Film Critics Association Award in the category of Most Promising Performer.
- In 2014, he won Dublin Film Critics’ Circle Awards in the category of Breakthrough.
- In 2014, he won Hollywood Film Awards in the category New Hollywood.
- In 2015, he won BAFTA Awards in the category of Rising Star.
- In 2015, he nominate the Empire Awards in the category of Best Male Newcomer.
- In 2015, he nominate London Film Critics’ Circle Awards in the category
- In 2015, he nominate the Cannes Film Festival in the category of Trophee Chopard for Male Revelation of the Year.
- In 2018, he nominate Critics Choice Television Award for Best Actor in a Movie/Miniseries.
Jack O’Connell’s Net Worth & Salary
Jack O’Connell’s net worth is estimated at $2 million dollars. His profession is a famous English actor and he worked in so many films TV shows and web series and earned from them. His annual salary is £1,196,000 as of December 2022.
Jack O’Connell Social Handles
Jack O’Connell Amazing Facts
- Jack O’Connell’s childhood nickname “Jack the Lad” is tattooed on his arm.
- Jack lived in East London since 2014.
- He has said that he does not consider himself British, instead identifying specifically with his Derbyshire upbringing and Irish heritage.
- When Jack was 18, after his father, he coped in part by engaging in self-destructive behavior, later commenting that he”didn’t stop partying for like seven years”.
- During his tenure on Skins, he acquired a reputation in the tabloids as a “party boy”, and a “bit of rough”.
- Jack O’Connell regularly gave interviews while hungover.
- Jack O’Connell has credited Angelina Jolie, who directed him in his first Hollywood film Unbroken, with influencing his outlook and described working with her as an “intervention”.
- By age 24, he had largely changed his lifestyle, saying, “I’m not trying to have the most fun I’ve ever had ever, anymore.
- As a youth, Jack O’Connell was in and out of court on charges related to alcohol and violence, and he received a one-year young offender’s referral order when he was 17.
- At age 16, O’Connell left Saint Benedict Catholic School with two GCSEs in drama and English.
- From age 13 he attended the free Television Workshop in Nottingham, where he trained in drama twice a week.
- Jack O’Connell eventually moved to Hounslow in London, working in between acting parts as a farmhand in Cobham, Surrey.
Read other Biographies Below: